Monday, February 14, 2011

Nelson Sauvin Saison

A little over a week ago I brewed this saison with nelson sauvin hops. Today I took a gravity reading/tasting. Here are the results.

O.G. 1.050
S.G. 1.010
Apparent Attenuation 80%

Tasting Notes: Aroma is very fruity. Lots of orange and lemon. Nice subtle spiciness. Taste is fruity and spicy. Very dry... but a very full and silky mouthfeel. All of the things you'd expect from the awesome Wyeast 3711 French Saison. The hop bitterness is mild. There's a tad of nice hop flavor. Noble character from the willamette... just a smidge. I'm getting some passion fruit as well. That can only be the NV hops.

I added 1 oz. of NV hops for dry hopping. Going to leave those in there for 1 week. I'm hoping the gravity will drop a shade too in that time. I think it may be nice with a little acidity. I'm considering make a sour mash, boiling it to sterilize then adding it into the saison or possibly throwing in some bugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment